Monday, October 24, 2011

Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Title: Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1)
Author: Josephine Angelini
Pages: 487 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published on: May 31st' 2011
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble

Set on the island of Nantucket, STARCROSSED tells the tale of Helen Hamilton, a young woman whose destiny is forever altered when she meets Lucas Delos and tries to kill him in front of her entire high school. Which is terribly inconvenient, not only because Lucas is the most beautiful boy on the island, but also because Helen is so achingly shy she suffers physical pain whenever she is given too much attention.

Making matters worse, Helen is beginning to suspect she’s going crazy. Whenever she’s near Lucas or any member of his family she sees the ghostly apparitions of three women weeping bloody tears, and suffers the burden of an intense and irrational hate. She soon learns that she and Lucas are destined to play the leading roles in a Greek tragedy that the Three Fates insist on repeating over and over again throughout history. Like her namesake, Helen of Troy, she’s destined to start a war by falling in love. But even though Lucas and Helen can see their own star-crossed destiny, they’re still powerfully attracted to each other. Will they give up their personal happiness for the greater good, or risk it all to be together?
(Summary from Goodreads)

Review:

I absolutely LOVED Starcrossed! The book was so fast-paced and straight to the point that I couldn't turn the pages fast enough! I love how Josephine Angelini managed to take Greek mythology to a whole new level. How she was able to mix ancient Greece with modern Nantucket! When I first read Starcrossed I was astonished to find out that Starcrossed was Josephine Angelini's first novel! Starcrossed was so beautiful wrought and so intricately woven that I felt like I was reading from a master's hand. Starcrossed is definitely something I believe everyone will enjoy! I especially love how Helen literally tried to kill Lucas from the start, the hate and the loathing brought on by the Furies was definitely a nice twist to the story. Of course, a book wouldn't be complete without a hunky, swoony protag! OMGods, Lucas Delos had me the first time Helen ever saw him! His luscious black hair and gorgeous blue eyes, ANY girl would want him! I literally felt my eyes burning just reading about him! He and Helen make such a great couple! I would hate to see them apart! Which leads me to my most hated character EVERR. I didn't think it was possible to hate a character SO much but I do! Oh dear God! I LOATHE Daphne! I think Josephine Angelini should kill her off ASAP. But no matter how much I hated her, it didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying this AMAZING book! Starcrossed was hilarious, suspenseful AND romance-filled! It was definitely a complete package. And I absolutely ADORED Claire and Jason! They were a very interesting couple and they definitely kept the story going especially when Helen and Lucas were in a tough spot. Claire definitely has to be my most favorite character EVER. There's something about that five-foot-two height that screams "Super-Ninja-Penguin Material!" I'd totally welcome Claire with open arms! Claire is what a person needs to look for in a best friend: loyal, kind and sticks up for you no matter what. Most of my favorite moments had Claire in them! She's just too adorable! All in all, Starcrossed is a PHENOMENAL debut, it's definitely a book fans of Percy Jackson and Twilight should read! This book has it all! Hot men (we can never run out of those ;D), action (did I mention, powers are involved in this?), comic relief (HOHOHO) and sweet, sweet romance ('nuff said <3)! Josephine Angelini is DEFINITELY an author to watch out for. ;) I'm sure everybody's DYING to read Dreamless! Prolly because Starcrossed ended with a HUGE cliffhanger!!!!! 2012 can't come fast enough! 

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment